Virtues of Sadaqah
All praise be to Allah (Subhana wa ta aala), Lord of the worlds
And peace and blessings be upon the mercy to the worlds, Muhammed ﷺ, his family and good friends and those who followed him until the day of judgement.
Sadaqah is a highly emphasised and encouraged act in Islam. It is something that has been given a great deal of importance, not just in Islam, but also in other religions. Other religions have their own versions of the concept of sadaqah, all leading to one ultimate Goal which is to help people.
Allah SWT and the Prophet ﷺ talked about sadaqah in great detail. There is sadaqah for everything and it is the righteous duty of every Muslim to undertake this task in whichever way possible. In the simplest form even passing a friendly smile to someone is sadaqah. The Prophet ﷺ said in a hadith.
On the authority of Abu Dharr (May Allah be pleased with him) some of the companions of the Messenger of Allah (Peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said to the Prophet ﷺ “O Messenger of Allah, the affluent have made off with the rewards. They pray like we pray, fast like we fast and they give charity from their extra wealth. He the Prophet SAW said: Has not Allah made things for you to do in charity?
Verily every Tasbeeh is a charitable act, every Takbeer is a charitable act, every Tahmeedah is a charitable act, every Tahleedah is a charitable act, forbidding evil is a charitable act and ordering good is a charitable act, and you having relation with your wife is a charitable act. They said O Messenger of Allah, when one of you fulfils his desire, he will have reward for that, he said: Tell me, if he were to fulfil it unlawfully, would he bear the sin? Similarly; if he fulfils it lawfully he will have a reward. (Recorded by Muslim)
Tasbeehah is Subhanallah
Takbeerah is Allahu Akbar
Tahmeedah is Alhamdulillah
Tahleedah is La ilaaha ilallah
From this hadith we understand that there are different types of charity and this opportunity is one of the mercies of Allah SWT on the Ummah.
Two types of charity
The first giving part of ones wealth to the poor and needy, and the second includes acts like ordering good and forbidding evil, calling others to the path of Allah SWT, keep oneself from harming others, teaching others about the religion, removing something harmful from the road.
The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said “Your smiling at your brother is a charitable act for you. Your ordering good and eradicating evil is charitable act. Your guiding a man in a land wherein he is lost is a charitable act. Your helping a man with bad eyesight is a charitable act. Your removing a stone, thorn or a bone from the road is a charitable act and so on.” (Recorded by al-Tirmidhi)
Who gives Sadaqah and Why?
Sadaqah can be given by anyone at any time of the year in any small way. Sadaqah is given to those who really need it and can benefit from it. The basic reason for giving sadaqah is similar to zakat. It is to maintain equality and social welfare in society and provide for those who can’t provide for themselves. Sadaqah purifies one’s own wealth and helps to establish a flow of wealth in society. Muslims are bonded together by not only the good deeds of sadaqah but also economic stability that flows through society.
We have listed 49 verses from the Quran that speaks about how Allah SWT rewards the one who gives in the path of Allah.
In these verses Allah is basically telling us how, Allah will multiply our wealth if we spend in His SWT way.
الَّذِينَ يُؤْمِنُونَ بِالْغَيْبِ وَيُقِيمُونَ الصَّلاةَ وَمِمَّا رَزَقْنَاهُمْ يُنفِقُونَ
- In Surah Baqarah The Chapter of the cow verse 3 Allah SWT says:
“Those who believe in the unseen and steadfast in prayer and spend out of what we have provided for them.”
وَأَنفِقُواْ فِي سَبِيلِ اللّهِ وَلاَ تُلْقُواْ بِأَيْدِيكُمْ إِلَى التَّهْلُكَةِ وَأَحْسِنُوَاْ إِنَّ اللّهَ يُحِبُّ الْمُحْسِنِينَ
- “And spend of your substance in the way of Allah SWT, and make not your own hand contribute to your destruction, but do good, for Allah SWT loves those who do good. (Surah Al-Baqarah, verse 195)
يَسْأَلُونَكَ مَاذَا يُنفِقُونَ قُلْ مَا أَنفَقْتُم مِّنْ خَيْرٍ فَلِلْوَالِدَيْنِ وَالأَقْرَبِينَ وَالْيَتَامَى وَالْمَسَاكِينِ وَابْنِ السَّبِيلِ وَمَا تَفْعَلُواْ مِنْ خَيْرٍ فَإِنَّ اللّهَ بِهِ عَلِيمٌ
- They ask Thee: “What should they spend in charity.” Say whatever you spend that is good, is for parents and kindred and orphans, those in want and for wayfarers and whatever you do that is good, Allah SWT knows it well. (Surah Al-Baqarah, verse 215)
يَسْأَلُونَكَ عَنِ الْخَمْرِ وَالْمَيْسِرِ قُلْ فِيهِمَا إِثْمٌ كَبِيرٌ وَمَنَافِعُ لِلنَّاسِ وَإِثْمُهُمَآ أَكْبَرُ مِن نَّفْعِهِمَا وَيَسْأَلُونَكَ مَاذَا يُنفِقُونَ قُلِ الْعَفْوَ كَذَلِكَ يُبيِّنُ اللّهُ لَكُمُ الآيَاتِ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَفَكَّرُونَ
- They ask Thee: “How much they are to spend?” Say: “What is beyond your needs.” Does Allah SWT not make clear to you His signs none that you may consider. (Surah Al-Baqarah, verse 219)
يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُواْ أَنفِقُواْ مِمَّا رَزَقْنَاكُم مِّن قَبْلِ أَن يَأْتِيَ يَوْمٌ لاَّ بَيْعٌ فِيهِ وَلاَ خُلَّةٌ وَلاَ شَفَاعَةٌ وَالْكَافِرُونَ هُمُ الظَّالِمُونَ
- O’ You who believes spend out of the bounties we have provided for you before the day comes when there will be no bargaining nor friendship nor intercession. Those who reject faith are the wrong doers. (Surah Al-Baqarah, verse 254)
مَّثَلُ الَّذِينَ يُنفِقُونَ أَمْوَالَهُمْ فِي سَبِيلِ اللّهِ كَمَثَلِ حَبَّةٍ أَنبَتَتْ سَبْعَ سَنَابِلَ فِي كُلِّ سُنبُلَةٍ مِّئَةُ حَبَّةٍ وَاللّهُ يُضَاعِفُ لِمَن يَشَاء وَاللّهُ وَاسِعٌ عَلِيمٌ
- The parable of those who spend the substance in the way of Allah is that of a grain of corn: it grows seven ears; and each ear has 100 grains. Allah gives many folds increase to whom He pleases and Allah cares for all and He knows all things. (Surah Al-Baqarah, verse 261)
الَّذِينَ يُنفِقُونَ أَمْوَالَهُمْ فِي سَبِيلِ اللّهِ ثُمَّ لاَ يُتْبِعُونَ مَا أَنفَقُواُ مَنًّا وَلاَ أَذًى لَّهُمْ أَجْرُهُمْ عِندَ رَبِّهِمْ وَلاَ خَوْفٌ عَلَيْهِمْ وَلاَ هُمْ يَحْزَنُونَ
- Those who spends its substance in the course of Allah, and follow not up their gifts with reminders of their generosity, for them their reward is with their Lord, on them there shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve. (Surah Al-Baqarah, verse 262)
يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُواْ لاَ تُبْطِلُواْ صَدَقَاتِكُم بِالْمَنِّ وَالأذَى كَالَّذِي يُنفِقُ مَالَهُ رِئَاء النَّاسِ وَلاَ يُؤْمِنُ بِاللّهِ وَالْيَوْمِ الآخِرِ فَمَثَلُهُ كَمَثَلِ صَفْوَانٍ عَلَيْهِ تُرَابٌ فَأَصَابَهُ وَابِلٌ فَتَرَكَهُ صَلْدًا لاَّ يَقْدِرُونَ عَلَى شَيْءٍ مِّمَّا كَسَبُواْ وَاللّهُ لاَ يَهْدِي الْقَوْمَ الْكَافِرِينَ
- Oh you who believe! Cancel not your charity by reminders of your generosity or by injury like those who spend their substance to be seen of men, but believe neither in Allah nor in the Last day.
They are parable like a hard, barren rock, on which is a little soil: on it falls heavy rain, which leaves it a bare stone. They will be able to do nothing with ought they have earned. Allah guide not those who rejects faith. (Surah Al-Baqarah, verse 264)
وَمَثَلُ الَّذِينَ يُنفِقُونَ أَمْوَالَهُمُ ابْتِغَاء مَرْضَاتِ اللّهِ وَتَثْبِيتًا مِّنْ أَنفُسِهِمْ كَمَثَلِ جَنَّةٍ بِرَبْوَةٍ أَصَابَهَا وَابِلٌ فَآتَتْ أُكُلَهَا ضِعْفَيْنِ فَإِن لَّمْ يُصِبْهَا وَابِلٌ فَطَلٌّ وَاللّهُ بِمَا تَعْمَلُونَ بَصِيرٌ
- And the likeness of those who spend their substance, seeking to please Allah and to strengthen their souls, is as a garden, high and fertile: heavy rain falls on it but makes it yield a double increase of harvest, and if it receives not Heavy rain, light moisture suffices it. Allah sees well whatever you do. (Surah Al-Baqarah, verse 265)
يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُواْ أَنفِقُواْ مِن طَيِّبَاتِ مَا كَسَبْتُمْ وَمِمَّا أَخْرَجْنَا لَكُم مِّنَ الأَرْضِ وَلاَ تَيَمَّمُواْ الْخَبِيثَ مِنْهُ تُنفِقُونَ وَلَسْتُم بِآخِذِيهِ إِلاَّ أَن تُغْمِضُواْ فِيهِ وَاعْلَمُواْ أَنَّ اللّهَ غَنِيٌّ حَمِيدٌ
- Oh you who believe! Give of the good things which you have honourably earned, and of the fruits of the Earth which We have produced for you, and do not aim at getting anything which is bad, in order that out of it, you may give away something when you yourself would not receive it except with closed eyes. And know that Allah is free of all wants, and worthy of all praise. (Surah Al-Baqarah, verse 267)
وَمَا أَنفَقْتُم مِّن نَّفَقَةٍ أَوْ نَذَرْتُم مِّن نَّذْرٍ فَإِنَّ اللّهَ يَعْلَمُهُ وَمَا لِلظَّالِمِينَ مِنْ أَنصَارٍ
- And whatever you spend in charity or devotion, be sure Allah knows it all. But the wrong-doers have no helpers. (Surah Al-Baqarah, verse 270)
لَّيْسَ عَلَيْكَ هُدَاهُمْ وَلَـكِنَّ اللّهَ يَهْدِي مَن يَشَاء وَمَا تُنفِقُواْ مِنْ خَيْرٍ فَلأنفُسِكُمْ وَمَا تُنفِقُونَ إِلاَّ ابْتِغَاء وَجْهِ اللّهِ وَمَا تُنفِقُواْ مِنْ خَيْرٍ يُوَفَّ إِلَيْكُمْ وَأَنتُمْ لاَ تُظْلَمُونَ
- It is not required of thee O Messenger, to set them on the right path but Allah sets on the right path whom He pleases. Whatever of good you give benefits your own souls and you shall only do so seeking the “Face” of Allah. (Surah Al-Baqarah, verse 272)
لِلْفُقَرَاء الَّذِينَ أُحصِرُواْ فِي سَبِيلِ اللّهِ لاَ يَسْتَطِيعُونَ ضَرْبًا فِي الأَرْضِ يَحْسَبُهُمُ الْجَاهِلُ أَغْنِيَاء مِنَ التَّعَفُّفِ تَعْرِفُهُم بِسِيمَاهُمْ لاَ يَسْأَلُونَ النَّاسَ إِلْحَافًا وَمَا تُنفِقُواْ مِنْ خَيْرٍ فَإِنَّ اللّهَ بِهِ عَلِيمٌ
- Charity is for those in need, who, in Allahs cause are restricted from travel and cannot move about in the land, seeking for trade or work. The ignorant man thinks, because of their modesty, that they are free, from want. Thou shall know them by their unfailing mark; They beg not importantly from all the sundry. And whatever of good you give, be assured Allah knows it well. (Surah Al-Baqarah, verse 273)
[Charity is] for the poor who have been restricted for the cause of Allah, unable to move about in the land. An ignorant [person] would think them self-sufficient because of their restraint, but you will know them by their [characteristic] sign. They do not ask people persistently [or at all]. And whatever you spend of good – indeed, Allah is Knowing of it.
الَّذِينَ يُنفِقُونَ أَمْوَالَهُم بِاللَّيْلِ وَالنَّهَارِ سِرًّا وَعَلاَنِيَةً فَلَهُمْ أَجْرُهُمْ عِندَ رَبِّهِمْ وَلاَ خَوْفٌ عَلَيْهِمْ وَلاَ هُمْ يَحْزَنُونَ
- Those who spend of their goods in charity by night and day, in secret and in public, have their reward with their Lord; on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve. (Surah Al-Baqarah, verse 274)
الصَّابِرِينَ وَالصَّادِقِينَ وَالْقَانِتِينَ وَالْمُنفِقِينَ وَالْمُسْتَغْفِرِينَ بِالأَسْحَارِ
- Those who show patience, firmness and self-control who are true, who worship devoutly, who spend in the way of Allah and who pray for forgiveness in the early hours of the morning. (Surah Al-Imran, verse 17)
لَن تَنَالُواْ الْبِرَّ حَتَّى تُنفِقُواْ مِمَّا تُحِبُّونَ وَمَا تُنفِقُواْ مِن شَيْءٍ فَإِنَّ اللّهَ بِهِ عَلِيمٌ
- By no means shall you attain righteousness unless you give freely of that which you love and whatever you give of a truth Allah knows it well. (Surah Al-Imran, verse 92)
الَّذِينَ يُنفِقُونَ فِي السَّرَّاء وَالضَّرَّاء وَالْكَاظِمِينَ الْغَيْظَ وَالْعَافِينَ عَنِ النَّاسِ وَاللّهُ يُحِبُّ الْمُحْسِنِينَ
- Those that spend freely, whether in prosperity, or in adversity, who restrains anger and pardon men, for Allah loves those who do good. (Surah Al-Imran, verse 134)
الَّذِينَ يَبْخَلُونَ وَيَأْمُرُونَ النَّاسَ بِالْبُخْلِ وَيَكْتُمُونَ مَا آتَاهُمُ اللّهُ مِن فَضْلِهِ وَأَعْتَدْنَا لِلْكَافِرِينَ عَذَابًا مُّهِينًا
- Nor those who are niggardly or enjoin niggardliness on others or hide the bounties which Allah hath bestowed on them for We have prepared for those who resist faith, a punishment that steeps them in contempt. (Surah An-Nisa verse 37)
Who are stingy and enjoin upon [other] people stinginess and conceal what Allah has given them of His bounty – and We have prepared for the disbelievers a humiliating punishment –
وَالَّذِينَ يُنفِقُونَ أَمْوَالَهُمْ رِئَـاء النَّاسِ وَلاَ يُؤْمِنُونَ بِاللّهِ وَلاَ بِالْيَوْمِ الآخِرِ وَمَن يَكُنِ الشَّيْطَانُ لَهُ قَرِينًا فَسَاء قِرِينًا
- Nor those who spend of their wealth, to be seen of men but have no faith in Allah and the Last day, if any take the Evil one for their companion, what a dreadful companion he is! (Surah An-Nisa, verse 38)
وَمَاذَا عَلَيْهِمْ لَوْ آمَنُواْ بِاللّهِ وَالْيَوْمِ الآخِرِ وَأَنفَقُواْ مِمَّا رَزَقَهُمُ اللّهُ وَكَانَ اللّهُ بِهِم عَلِيمًا
- And what burden were it on them if they had faith in Allah and in the Last day and they spent out of what Allah has given them for sustenance? For Allah has full knowledge of them. (Surah An-Nisa, verse 39)
وَقَالَتِ الْيَهُودُ يَدُ اللّهِ مَغْلُولَةٌ غُلَّتْ أَيْدِيهِمْ وَلُعِنُواْ بِمَا قَالُواْ بَلْ يَدَاهُ مَبْسُوطَتَانِ يُنفِقُ كَيْفَ يَشَاء وَلَيَزِيدَنَّ كَثِيرًا مِّنْهُم مَّا أُنزِلَ إِلَيْكَ مِن رَّبِّكَ طُغْيَانًا وَكُفْرًا وَأَلْقَيْنَا بَيْنَهُمُ الْعَدَاوَةَ وَالْبَغْضَاء إِلَى يَوْمِ الْقِيَامَةِ كُلَّمَا أَوْقَدُواْ نَارًا لِّلْحَرْبِ أَطْفَأَهَا اللّهُ وَيَسْعَوْنَ فِي الأَرْضِ فَسَادًا وَاللّهُ لاَ يُحِبُّ الْمُفْسِدِينَ
- The Jews say:”Allahs’ hand is tied up.” Be their hands tied up and be they accursed for the blasphemy; they utter. Nor both His hands are widely outstretched: He gives and spends of His Bounty as He please. (Surah Al-Maida, verse 64)
And the Jews say, “The hand of Allah is chained.” Chained are their hands, and cursed are they for what they say. Rather, both His hands are extended; He spends however He wills. And that which has been revealed to you from your Lord will surely increase many of them in transgression and disbelief. And We have cast among them animosity and hatred until the Day of Resurrection. Every time they kindled the fire of war [against you], Allah extinguished it. And they strive throughout the land [causing] corruption, and Allah does not like corrupters.
الَّذِينَ يُقِيمُونَ الصَّلاَةَ وَمِمَّا رَزَقْنَاهُمْ يُنفِقُونَ
- Who established regular prayers and spend freely out of the gifts We have given them for sustenance. (Surah Al-Anfal, verse 3)
وَأَعِدُّواْ لَهُم مَّا اسْتَطَعْتُم مِّن قُوَّةٍ وَمِن رِّبَاطِ الْخَيْلِ تُرْهِبُونَ بِهِ عَدْوَّ اللّهِ وَعَدُوَّكُمْ وَآخَرِينَ مِن دُونِهِمْ لاَ تَعْلَمُونَهُمُ اللّهُ يَعْلَمُهُمْ وَمَا تُنفِقُواْ مِن شَيْءٍ فِي سَبِيلِ اللّهِ يُوَفَّ إِلَيْكُمْ وَأَنتُمْ لاَ تُظْلَمُونَ
- Against them make ready your strength to the utmost of your power, including steeds of war to strike terror into the hearts of the enemies of Allah and your enemies and others, besides whom you may not know, but whom Allah knows. Whatever you shall spend in the cause of Allah, shall be repaid unto you and you shall not be treated unjustly. (Surah Al-Anfal, verse 60)
يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُواْ إِنَّ كَثِيرًا مِّنَ الأَحْبَارِ وَالرُّهْبَانِ لَيَأْكُلُونَ أَمْوَالَ النَّاسِ بِالْبَاطِلِ وَيَصُدُّونَ عَن سَبِيلِ اللّهِ وَالَّذِينَ يَكْنِزُونَ الذَّهَبَ وَالْفِضَّةَ وَلاَ يُنفِقُونَهَا فِي سَبِيلِ اللّهِ فَبَشِّرْهُم بِعَذَابٍ أَلِيمٍ
- O you who believe! There are indeed many among the priests and anchorites who in falsehood devour the sustenance of men and hinder them from the way of Allah. And there are those who bury gold and silver and spend it not in the way of Allah. Announce unto them a most grievous penalty. (surah At-Tawba, verse 34)
قُلْ أَنفِقُواْ طَوْعًا أَوْ كَرْهًا لَّن يُتَقَبَّلَ مِنكُمْ إِنَّكُمْ كُنتُمْ قَوْمًا فَاسِقِينَ
- Say: “Spend for the cause willingly or unwillingly not from you will it be accepted; for you are indeed a people rebellious and wicked (Surah At-Tawba verse 53)
وَمَا مَنَعَهُمْ أَن تُقْبَلَ مِنْهُمْ نَفَقَاتُهُمْ إِلاَّ أَنَّهُمْ كَفَرُواْ بِاللّهِ وَبِرَسُولِهِ وَلاَ يَأْتُونَ الصَّلاَةَ إِلاَّ وَهُمْ كُسَالَى وَلاَ يُنفِقُونَ إِلاَّ وَهُمْ كَارِهُونَ
- The only reasons why their contributions are not accepted are that they reject Allah and His Messenger that they have come to prayer, without earnestness and that they offer contributions unwillingly. (Surah At-Tawba verse 54)
إِنَّمَا الصَّدَقَاتُ لِلْفُقَرَاء وَالْمَسَاكِينِ وَالْعَامِلِينَ عَلَيْهَا وَالْمُؤَلَّفَةِ قُلُوبُهُمْ وَفِي الرِّقَابِ وَالْغَارِمِينَ وَفِي سَبِيلِ اللّهِ وَابْنِ السَّبِيلِ فَرِيضَةً مِّنَ اللّهِ وَاللّهُ عَلِيمٌ حَكِيمٌ
- Alms are for the poor and the needy and those employed to administer the funds for those whose hearts have been reconciled to truth for those in bondage and in debt in the cause of Allah and for the wayfarer, ordained by Allah and Allah is full of knowledge and wisdom (Surah At-Tawba verse 60)
لَّيْسَ عَلَى الضُّعَفَاء وَلاَ عَلَى الْمَرْضَى وَلاَ عَلَى الَّذِينَ لاَ يَجِدُونَ مَا يُنفِقُونَ حَرَجٌ إِذَا نَصَحُواْ لِلّهِ وَرَسُولِهِ مَا عَلَى الْمُحْسِنِينَ مِن سَبِيلٍ وَاللّهُ غَفُورٌ رَّحِيمٌ
- There is no blame on those who are weak or ill or who finds no resources to spend on the cause, if they are sincere in duty to Allah and His Messenger; no ground of complaint can there be against such that do right and Allah is forgiving, Most Merciful. (Surah At-Tawba verse 91)
وَلاَ عَلَى الَّذِينَ إِذَا مَا أَتَوْكَ لِتَحْمِلَهُمْ قُلْتَ لاَ أَجِدُ مَا أَحْمِلُكُمْ عَلَيْهِ تَوَلَّواْ وَّأَعْيُنُهُمْ تَفِيضُ مِنَ الدَّمْعِ حَزَنًا أَلاَّ يَجِدُواْ مَا يُنفِقُونَ
- Nor is there blame on those who came to thee to be provided with mounts and thou said: “I can find no mounts for you,” they turned back their eyes streaming with tears of grief that they had no resources where to provide the expenses. (Surah At-Tawba verse 92)
Nor [is there blame] upon those who, when they came to you that you might give them mounts, you said, “I can find nothing for you to ride upon.” They turned back while their eyes overflowed with tears out of grief that they could not find something to spend [for the cause of Allah ].
وَمِنَ الأَعْرَابِ مَن يَتَّخِذُ مَا يُنفِقُ مَغْرَمًا وَيَتَرَبَّصُ بِكُمُ الدَّوَائِرَ عَلَيْهِمْ دَآئِرَةُ السَّوْءِ وَاللّهُ سَمِيعٌ عَلِيمٌ
- Some of the desert Arabs look upon their payments as a fine and watch for disasters for you on them be the disaster of evil for Allah is He that hears and knows all things (Surah At-Tawba verse 98)
وَمِنَ الأَعْرَابِ مَن يُؤْمِنُ بِاللّهِ وَالْيَوْمِ الآخِرِ وَيَتَّخِذُ مَا يُنفِقُ قُرُبَاتٍ عِندَ اللّهِ وَصَلَوَاتِ الرَّسُولِ أَلا إِنَّهَا قُرْبَةٌ لَّهُمْ سَيُدْخِلُهُمُ اللّهُ فِي رَحْمَتِهِ إِنَّ اللّهَ غَفُورٌ رَّحِيمٌ
- But some of the desert Arabs believe in Allah and the Last day and look on their payments as pious gifts bringing them nearer to Allah and obtaining the prayer of the Messenger. Indeed they bring them nearer to Him, soon will Allah admit them to His mercy; for Allah is forgiving, Most Merciful. (Surah At-Tawba verse 99)
وَلاَ يُنفِقُونَ نَفَقَةً صَغِيرَةً وَلاَ كَبِيرَةً وَلاَ يَقْطَعُونَ وَادِيًا إِلاَّ كُتِبَ لَهُمْ لِيَجْزِيَهُمُ اللّهُ أَحْسَنَ مَا كَانُواْ يَعْمَلُونَ
- Nor could they spend anything for the cause –small or great –nor cut across a valley, but the deed is inscribed to their credit that Allah may requite their deed with the best. (Surah At-Tawba verse 121)
وَالَّذِينَ صَبَرُواْ ابْتِغَاء وَجْهِ رَبِّهِمْ وَأَقَامُواْ الصَّلاَةَ وَأَنفَقُواْ مِمَّا رَزَقْنَاهُمْ سِرًّا وَعَلاَنِيَةً وَيَدْرَؤُونَ بِالْحَسَنَةِ السَّيِّئَةَ أُوْلَئِكَ لَهُمْ عُقْبَى الدَّارِ
- Those who patiently persevere seeking the countenance of their Lord, established regular prayers, spend out of the gifts We have bestowed for their sustenance, secretly and openly and turn off evil with good, for such there is the final attainment of the eternal home. (Surah Ar-Rad verse 22)
قُل لِّعِبَادِيَ الَّذِينَ آمَنُواْ يُقِيمُواْ الصَّلاَةَ وَيُنفِقُواْ مِمَّا رَزَقْنَاهُمْ سِرًّا وَعَلانِيَةً مِّن قَبْلِ أَن يَأْتِيَ يَوْمٌ لاَّ بَيْعٌ فِيهِ وَلاَ خِلاَلٌ
- Speak to my servants who have believed that they may establish regular prayers and spend in charity out of sustenance we have given them secretly and openly before the coming of a Day in which there will be neither mutual bargaining nor befriending. (Surah Ibrahim verse 31)
ضَرَبَ اللّهُ مَثَلاً عَبْدًا مَّمْلُوكًا لاَّ يَقْدِرُ عَلَى شَيْءٍ وَمَن رَّزَقْنَاهُ مِنَّا رِزْقًا حَسَنًا فَهُوَ يُنفِقُ مِنْهُ سِرًّا وَجَهْرًا هَلْ يَسْتَوُونَ الْحَمْدُ لِلّهِ بَلْ أَكْثَرُهُمْ لاَ يَعْلَمُونَ
- Allah sets forth the parable of two men; one a slave under the dominion of another, he has no power of any sort and the other: a man on whom We have bestowed goodly favours from Ourselves and he spends thereof freely, privately and publicly, are those two equal? (By no means) Praise be to Allah. But most of them understand not. (Surah An-Nahl verse 75)
وَلِكُلِّ أُمَّةٍ جَعَلْنَا مَنسَكًا لِيَذْكُرُوا اسْمَ اللَّهِ عَلَى مَا رَزَقَهُم مِّن بَهِيمَةِ الْأَنْعَامِ فَإِلَهُكُمْ إِلَهٌ وَاحِدٌ فَلَهُ أَسْلِمُوا وَبَشِّرِ الْمُخْبِتِينَ
- To every people did We appoint rites of sacrifice that they might celebrate the name of Allah over the sustenance He gave them from animals fit for food. But your Allah is One Allah. Submit then your wills to Him in Islam and give thou the good news to those who humble themselves. (Surah Al-Hajj verse 34)
الَّذِينَ إِذَا ذُكِرَ اللَّهُ وَجِلَتْ قُلُوبُهُمْ وَالصَّابِرِينَ عَلَى مَا أَصَابَهُمْ وَالْمُقِيمِي الصَّلَاةِ وَمِمَّا رَزَقْنَاهُمْ يُنفِقُونَ
- To those whose hearts when Allah is mentioned are filled with fear, who show patient perseverance over their afflictions, keep up regular prayer, and spend in charity out of what We have bestowed upon them. (Surah Al-Hajj verse 35)
أُوْلَئِكَ يُؤْتَوْنَ أَجْرَهُم مَّرَّتَيْنِ بِمَا صَبَرُوا وَيَدْرَؤُونَ بِالْحَسَنَةِ السَّيِّئَةَ وَمِمَّا رَزَقْنَاهُمْ يُنفِقُونَ
- Twice will they be given their reward for that they have persevered, that they avert evil with good and that they spend in charity out of what We have given them. (Surah Al-Qasas verse 54)
تَتَجَافَى جُنُوبُهُمْ عَنِ الْمَضَاجِعِ يَدْعُونَ رَبَّهُمْ خَوْفًا وَطَمَعًا وَمِمَّا رَزَقْنَاهُمْ يُنفِقُونَ
- Their limbs do forsake their beds of sleep the while they call on their Lord in fear and hope and they spend in charity out of the sustenance which We have bestowed on them. (Surah As-Sajda verse 16)
إِنَّ الَّذِينَ يَتْلُونَ كِتَابَ اللَّهِ وَأَقَامُوا الصَّلَاةَ وَأَنفَقُوا مِمَّا رَزَقْنَاهُمْ سِرًّا وَعَلَانِيَةً يَرْجُونَ تِجَارَةً لَّن تَبُورَ
- Those who rehearse the Book of Allah, establish regular prayer and spend in charity out of what We have provided for them secretly and openly hope for a commerce that will never fail. (Surah Fatir verse 29)
وَإِذَا قِيلَ لَهُمْ أَنفِقُوا مِمَّا رَزَقَكُمْ اللَّهُ قَالَ الَّذِينَ كَفَرُوا لِلَّذِينَ آمَنُوا أَنُطْعِمُ مَن لَّوْ يَشَاء اللَّهُ أَطْعَمَهُ إِنْ أَنتُمْ إِلَّا فِي ضَلَالٍ مُّبِينٍ
- And when they are told :Spend you of the bounties with which Allah has provided you” the unbelievers say to those who believe “Shall we then feed those whom if Allah had so willed, He would have fed Himself? You are nothing but manifest error” (Surah Yaseen verse 47)
وَالَّذِينَ اسْتَجَابُوا لِرَبِّهِمْ وَأَقَامُوا الصَّلَاةَ وَأَمْرُهُمْ شُورَى بَيْنَهُمْ وَمِمَّا رَزَقْنَاهُمْ يُنفِقُونَ
- Those who hearken to their Lord and establish regular prayer, who conduct their affairs by mutual consultation who spend out of what We bestow on them for sustenance. (Surah Ash-Shura verse 38)
هَاأَنتُمْ هَؤُلَاء تُدْعَوْنَ لِتُنفِقُوا فِي سَبِيلِ اللَّهِ فَمِنكُم مَّن يَبْخَلُ وَمَن يَبْخَلْ فَإِنَّمَا يَبْخَلُ عَن نَّفْسِهِ وَاللَّهُ الْغَنِيُّ وَأَنتُمُ الْفُقَرَاء وَإِن تَتَوَلَّوْا يَسْتَبْدِلْ قَوْمًا غَيْرَكُمْ ثُمَّ لَا يَكُونُوا أَمْثَالَكُمْ
- Behold, you are those invited to spend of your wealth in the way of Allah. But among you are some that are niggardly. But any who are niggardly are so at the expense of their own souls. But Allah is free of wants and it is you that are needy. If you turn back from the path, He will substitute in your stead another people then they would not be like you! (Surah Muhammed verse 38)
آمِنُوا بِاللَّهِ وَرَسُولِهِ وَأَنفِقُوا مِمَّا جَعَلَكُم مُّسْتَخْلَفِينَ فِيهِ فَالَّذِينَ آمَنُوا مِنكُمْ وَأَنفَقُوا لَهُمْ أَجْرٌ كَبِيرٌ
- Believe in Allah and His apostle and spend in charity out of the wealth whereof He has made you heirs. For those of you who believe and spend in charity, for them is a great reward. (Surah Al-Hadid verse 7)
وَمَا لَكُمْ أَلَّا تُنفِقُوا فِي سَبِيلِ اللَّهِ وَلِلَّهِ مِيرَاثُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ لَا يَسْتَوِي مِنكُم مَّنْ أَنفَقَ مِن قَبْلِ الْفَتْحِ وَقَاتَلَ أُوْلَئِكَ أَعْظَمُ دَرَجَةً مِّنَ الَّذِينَ أَنفَقُوا مِن بَعْدُ وَقَاتَلُوا وَكُلًّا وَعَدَ اللَّهُ الْحُسْنَى وَاللَّهُ بِمَا تَعْمَلُونَ خَبِيرٌ
- And what cause have you why you should not spend in the cause of Allah. For to Allah belongs the heritage of the heavens and the Earth. Not equal among you are those who spent freely and fought before the victory with those who did so later. Those are higher in rank than those who spent freely and fought afterwards. But to all has Allah promised a goodly reward. And Allah is well acquainted with all that you do. (Surah Al-Hadid verse 10)
هُمُ الَّذِينَ يَقُولُونَ لَا تُنفِقُوا عَلَى مَنْ عِندَ رَسُولِ اللَّهِ حَتَّى يَنفَضُّوا وَلِلَّهِ خَزَائِنُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَلَكِنَّ الْمُنَافِقِينَ لَا يَفْقَهُونَ
- They are the ones who say “Spend nothing on those who are with Allahs Messenger to the end that they may disperse and quit Medina.” But to Allah belong the treasures of the heavens and the earth but the hypocrites understand not. (Surah Al-Munafiqun verse 7)
وَأَنفِقُوا مِن مَّا رَزَقْنَاكُم مِّن قَبْلِ أَن يَأْتِيَ أَحَدَكُمُ الْمَوْتُ فَيَقُولَ رَبِّ لَوْلَا أَخَّرْتَنِي إِلَى أَجَلٍ قَرِيبٍ فَأَصَّدَّقَ وَأَكُن مِّنَ الصَّالِحِينَ
- And spend something in charity out of the wealth which We have bestowed on you, before death should come to any of you and he should say “O my Lord! Why did Thou not give me respite for a little while? I should then have given largely in charity and I should have been one of the doers of good. “ (Surah Al-Munafiqun verse 10)
فَاتَّقُوا اللَّهَ مَا اسْتَطَعْتُمْ وَاسْمَعُوا وَأَطِيعُوا وَأَنفِقُوا خَيْرًا لِّأَنفُسِكُمْ وَمَن يُوقَ شُحَّ نَفْسِهِ فَأُوْلَئِكَ هُمُ الْمُفْلِحُونَ
- So fear Allah as much as you can listen and obey and spend in charity for the benefit of your own soul and those saved from the covetousness of their own soul –they are the ones that achieve prosperity. (Surah Al-Taghabun verse 16)
لِيُنفِقْ ذُو سَعَةٍ مِّن سَعَتِهِ وَمَن قُدِرَ عَلَيْهِ رِزْقُهُ فَلْيُنفِقْ مِمَّا آتَاهُ اللَّهُ لَا يُكَلِّفُ اللَّهُ نَفْسًا إِلَّا مَا آتَاهَا سَيَجْعَلُ اللَّهُ بَعْدَ عُسْرٍ يُسْرًا
- Let the man of means spend according to his means and the man whose resources are restricted let him spend according to what Allah has given him. Allah puts no burden on any person beyond what He has given him. After a difficulty Allah will soon grant relief. (Surah At-Talaq verse 7)
In the name of Allah, The Most Gracious, Most Merciful
We have 5 pillars in Islam, to believe that there is only One God, Allah, and Rasoolullah ﷺ is the Messenger of Allah (SWT); to perform salaah, give charity, fast and perform Hajj.
Salaah strengthens the relationship between the Creator and creation while charity strengthens the relationship between brothers and sisters.
Everything that we own is a gift from Allah, Allah encourages us to give charity by calling it a
“loan” to Him that He will repay in the most excellent manner.
“Who is it that will loan Allah a goodly loan so he will multiply it for him and He will have a noble reward” (57:11)
The example of those who spend their wealth in the way of Allah is like a seed (again) which grows seven spikes, in each spike is a hundred grains. And Allah multiplies His rewards for whom He wills. And Allah is all encompassing and knowing.” (Surah Al-Baqarah 2:261)
This is a parable that Allah made the multiplication of rewards for those who spend in His cause, seeking His pleasure. Allah (SWT) multiplies your good deeds.
We know and we have learned, spending in the way of Allah (SWT) means spending wealth in promotion of Allahs deen.
The Prophet ﷺ asked a Sahaba (RA) to spend in the path of Allah (SWT). On this day Umar (RA) thought that he will be better in spending than Abu-Bakr (RA). So Umar (RA) brought half of his wealth while Abu-Bakr (RA) brought all of what he possesses, then the Prophet ﷺ asked Abu-Bakr (RA): “What did you leave for your family?” Abu Bakr (RA) answered: “Allah (SWT) and His Prophet ﷺ is ENOUGH for me and my family.”
In the above ayah: Allah (SWT) tells us that He grows the good deeds of those who do good, just as Allah grows the plant for those who sows in fertile land. The Sunnah also mentions that the deeds are multiplied up to seven hundred folds.
Example: Imam Ahmad recorded that Abu Masoud (RA) said: “A man gave away a camel with its bridle on, in the cause of Allah (SWT) and the Messenger of Allah (SWT) said:
لَكَ بِهَا يَوْمَ الْقِيَامَةِ سَبْعُ مِائَةِ نَاقَةٍ كُلُّهَا مَخْطُومَةٌ
“On the day of Resurrection, you will have 700 camels with their bridles.”
Muslims recorded this Hadith:
And the example of those who spend their wealth seeking means to the approval of Allah and assuring [reward for] themselves is like a garden on high ground which is hit by a downpour – so it yields its fruits in double. And [even] if it is not hit by a downpour, then a drizzle [is sufficient]. And Allah, of what you do, is Seeing.
“And the example of those who spend their wealth seeking means to approval of Allah and assuring themselves, is like a garden on high ground which is hit by a downpour –so it yields its fruits in double. And even if it is not hit by a downpour, (then a drizzle will suffice). Allah of what you do, is Seeing.”
The word “ibtigha” is from the root letters ba-ghayn-ya and it means “sought after or desires”
One person is spending so that people can see his good deeds, another person is spending so that Allah will be pleased with him. Pleasing people brings no goodness, but when a person strives for the pleasure of Allah (SWT) his rewards are preserved.
From this we learn if we spend with sincerity in the path of Allah (SWT) our rewards will multiply tenfold and it does not matter how much or little we give. We spend that which is in our capacity.
In another Hadith Imam Ahmad recorded that Abu Huraira (RA) said that the Messenger of Allah ﷺ mentioned:
وَحَدَّثَنَا أَبُو بَكْرِ بْنُ أَبِي شَيْبَةَ، حَدَّثَنَا أَبُو مُعَاوِيَةَ، وَوَكِيعٌ، عَنِ الأَعْمَشِ، ح وَحَدَّثَنَا زُهَيْرُ بْنُ حَرْبٍ، حَدَّثَنَا جَرِيرٌ، عَنِ الأَعْمَشِ، ح وَحَدَّثَنَا أَبُو سَعِيدٍ الأَشَجُّ، – وَاللَّفْظُ لَهُ – حَدَّثَنَا وَكِيعٌ، حَدَّثَنَا الأَعْمَشُ، عَنْ أَبِي صَالِحٍ، عَنْ أَبِي هُرَيْرَةَ، – رضى الله عنه – قَالَ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم
“ كُلُّ عَمَلِ ابْنِ آدَمَ يُضَاعَفُ الْحَسَنَةُ عَشْرُ أَمْثَالِهَا إِلَى سَبْعِمِائَةِ ضِعْفٍ قَالَ اللَّهُ عَزَّ وَجَلَّ إِلاَّ الصَّوْمَ فَإِنَّهُ لِي وَأَنَا أَجْزِي بِهِ يَدَعُ شَهْوَتَهُ وَطَعَامَهُ مِنْ أَجْلِي لِلصَّائِمِ فَرْحَتَانِ فَرْحَةٌ عِنْدَ فِطْرِهِ وَفَرْحَةٌ عِنْدَ لِقَاءِ رَبِّهِ . وَلَخُلُوفُ فِيهِ أَطْيَبُ عِنْدَ اللَّهِ مِنْ رِيحِ الْمِسْكِ ” .
“Every good deed that the son of Adam performs will be multiplied tenfold to seven hundreds and then to many other folds –to as much as Allah wills.
Allah (SWT) said: “Accept the fast for it is and I will reward you for it. One who abandons food and desires in My sake, the fasting person has two types of happiness; when he breaks his fast and when he meets his Lord. Verily the odour that comes from the mouth of whomever fast is non pure to Allah than the scent of Must” Fasting is a shield.
Abu Huraira (Allah be pleased with him) reported Messenger of Allah ﷺ as saying: Every (good) deed of the son of Adam would be multiplied, a good deed receiving a tenfold to seven hundredfold reward. Allah, the Exalted and Majestic, has said: With the exception of fasting, for it is done for Me and I will give a reward for it, for one abandons his passion and food for My sake. There are two occasions of joy for one who fasts, joy when he breaks it, and joy when he meets his Lord, and the breath (of an observer of fast) is sweeter to Allah than the fragrance of musk.